On 16th August 1849 the foundation stone was laid for St Barnabas Church, Hengoed. Built and designed by the Revd Albany Rossendale Lloyd, the church was built of stone and strengthened with buttresses, between which were Lancet shaped windows. The roof had a long pitch constructed of rafters.
The church was opened for Divine Service on the feast of St Barnabas, 11thJune 1850. It was not consecrated until 15th August 1853. A North Transept was added in 1855 and in 1871 a stained glass window was installed in the transept in memory of Albany Rossendale Lloyd's father, the Revd Charles A.A. Lloyd, who had been Rector of Whittington and Selattyn. The window was called 'The dawning of the last day' by Ashwin of London. In 1873 a bell turret was erected which housed three bells. The Revd Albany Rossendale Lloyd built Hengoed Vicarage close to the church. He was the first Incumbent, and served the people of Hengoed for 42 years. He died on 23rdMarch 1895 and is buried in the churchyard.
In 1950 the centenary was celebrated. In 1975 a flower festival was held to celebrate the 125th anniversary. But a devastating quinquennial survey that year uncovered dry rot in the timbers. On 20th May 1979 the last service took place. On 1st June it officially closed. A legal battle to save it was lost and on 4th January 1985 it was demolished. It had served the community for 135 years.
Today St Barnabas churchyard is a peaceful place to visit. The font remains as a memorial, standing on a base of stone, one of which is the original foundation stone. Further information can be obtained on 01691 658876.